Last year, Jews were the target of 60% of all religious-based hate crimes. Antisemitic attacks in New York increased by 325% vs. the previous year.
Here is how Federation is protecting Rochester:
- Working with local Jewish institutions regarding security and safety, we are developing community-wide best practice policies and procedures.
- Offering Countering Active Threat Training (CATT), Greeter Training, and Stop the Bleed Training.
- Partnering with the Secure Community Network (SCN), an official homeland security and safety initiative of the organized Jewish community in North America.
- Collaborating with law enforcement agencies at all levels, including federal (FBI), state (New York State Police, NYS Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Service), and local (Rochester Police Department, Brighton Police, Monroe County Sheriff's Office), on information gathering, intelligence sharing, and threat mitigation.
Since 2019, ROCStrong–Security and Safety Initiative has boosted security in Rochester by:
- Distributing $800,000 to 25 local Jewish institutions for safety, security, and training programs.
- Procuring and installing new doors, fencing, video surveillance systems, magnet- and other auto-locking doors, and safety glass.
- Holding 10 training sessions lead by our Director of Community Safety, impacting 300+ community members.
Learn more about ROCStrong, Federation’s security efforts, and how to keep yourself safe: