The Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester and its P2G Joint Steering Committee are currently making every effort to safely offer Journey for Identity 9 (JFI) the summer of 2021. The JFI working committee is comprised of lay leaders and professionals from Modi’in, Israel and Rochester. The committee is working in earnest to plan for a successful program that abides by travel guidelines both in Israel and the United States, honors the program's objectives and most importantly, keeps all participants healthy and safe. Given the reality of our world at the present moment, the working group has outlined a tentative schedule, that includes significant programmatic changes, all of which are enumerated below.
However, even with detailed planning and back-up plans for the back-up plans, the final decision for proceeding with the program will ultimately be determined by rules established by the US and Israeli governments. A final decision on whether or not JFI will proceed will be based on the global situation prior to April 14th, which is the deadline to receive a full refund from the airline.
Summer 2021 Program Information (subject to change):
1. The tentative dates for JFI 9 are: July 14 – August 10.
2. JFI9 will not include travel to Poland. We will instead supplement this component of the program with seminars and tours in New York City and in Israel, especially through immersive resources at Yad Vashem.
3. Like in years prior, participants will be assigned a partner and will stay in their partners home when traveling in their home city.
4. Tentatively, Israeli participants will leave Modi’in on Wednesday, July 14 and will arrive in Rochester on Thursday, July 15.
a.The Rochester portion will be from July 15 – 22.
b.The New York City portion will be from July 22 -25 and may include the following:
iv.Broadway show (TBD)
5. All participants will fly to Israel together from NYC on July 25 and will arrive in Israel on July 26
a. The Israeli portion of the trip will extend to 14 days.
b. While participants will still have the experience of home hospitality, travel outside of Modi’in will be increased allowing for more exploration of the Northern and Southern portions of Israel.
c. There will be more intense seminar-style learning at Yad Vashem than in years past, since there will be no travel to Poland.
6. Rochester participants will return to the US on either August 9 or August 10.
Application Information & Schedule:
1. Teens in grades 10-12 are eligible to apply
2. Estimated program cost is $3250
3. Registration portal open from February 1, 2021 – February 28, 2021
4. A completed application includes the following 4 components:
a. JFI Participant Application
b. Parent / Guardian Form
c. Reference Form (2 are required)
5. Applicant Interview
a. Every applicant is required to have a 20 minute zoom interview
b. During the participant interview, parents / guardians will meet simultaneously in a separate breakout room with a member(s) of the JFI committee to learn more about the program. This parent / guardian information session is a program requirement.
c. Interviews will be held:
i. Monday, March 8 between 5:00 – 8:00 pm
ii. Tuesday, March 9 between 5:00 – 8:00 pm
iii. Thursday March 11 between 5:00 – 8:00 pm
6. Participants will be notified about program acceptance the week of March 15
7. A final decision to proceed with the summer program will be made by April 14th
8. JFI classes will begin after Pesach.
Registration is a Multi-Step Process:
1. An application is complete only when all 4 components have been submitted.
2. It is the responsibility of the applicant to share the links with their parent / guardian and with their 2 references.