Religious Services and Education
Weekly Updates for May 16 – May 26, 2020
- Jewish Family Service of Rochester is offering support groups online for individuals in the greater Rochester area free of charge. The goal is to provide camaraderie, offer skills and share resources. Learn More.
- The Monroe County Department of Public Health has announced that Clarion Pointe Rochester Hotel at 2729 Monroe Avenue in Brighton is offering its 43 rooms for individuals who cannot complete a quarantine or isolation order where they currently reside.
The Jewish Federation of Greater Rochester has launched a Community Relief and Recovery Fund which will help our institutions manage through the COVID-19 crisis, address social service needs, and provide emergency assistance to community members in need.
- Jewish Family Service (JFS) has moved to an online (phone/internet) communication with its clients and created a helpline service that will provide members of the community information on available resources, including online counseling, crisis-intervention, short/long-term counseling via secure video appointments, food and medicine supply, volunteer opportunities, and religious-based supports. The JFS Helpline is (585) 461-0114 and email is firstname.lastname@example.org are available Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and weekends as needed.
RELIGIOUS EDUCATION AND SERVICES
Chabad of Rochester & Pittsford
- Sundays at 7:00 - 8:00 p.m. Days to Celebrate Demystifying Lesser-Known Festivals of the Jewish Calendar - 5 part series. Join the Zoom meeting.
- Mondays at 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Torah Studies: Journey into the Soul of Torah. Join the Zoom meeting.
- Tuesdays at 8:00 - 9:00 p.m. The Practical Tanya. Join the Zoom meeting
- Wednesdays at 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Judaism at Home with Rabbi Vogel. Join the Zoom meeting.
- Thursdays at 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. Cultivating Character: Life Wisdom - Ethics of the Fathers. Join the Zoom meeting.
- Fridays at 10:00 - 10:30 a.m. Positivity Bias: Stories to Reframe our Experiences During these Turbulent Times. Join the Zoom meeting.
Congregation Beth Hamedresh - Beth Israel
- Every Sunday morning service at 9:00 a.m. Join the Zoom event. All are welcome!
- Every Third Wednesday of each month at 7:30 p.m. Torah Study Session. Join the Zoom event.
Recent guidance from the Conservative Movement's Committee on Jewish Law allows, during a time of emergency when local synagogues have been closed for the duration of the crisis, the possibility to say the mourner's kaddish if 10 or more adults join with enabled audio and video.
Temple Beth David
Temple Beth El
- Weekdays at 12:30 p.m. Hang with Hazzan – An interactive exploration of spirituality, music and meaning in Jewish Prayer. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID: 487 473 215. Password 151216. Phone number: 1.929.205.6099.
- Daily Shacharit Prayer at 7:30 a.m. (Sunday at 8:30 a.m.). Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID: 194 890 955. Password: 724801. Phone number: 1.929.205.6099.
- Daily Minch/Ma’ariv Prayer at 6:00 p.m. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID: 939 065 859. Password: 890009. Phone number: 1.929.205.6099.
Temple Brith Kodesh
Please contact email@example.com for password for any of the services or classes listed below.
- Friday Shabbat Service at 6:00 p.m. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID: 975 137 998
- Saturday Morning Torah Study at 9:15 a.m. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID: 550 342 277
- Saturday Morning Shabbat Service at 10:30 a.m. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID: 329 741 558
- It is traditional to study the six chapters of Pirke Avot, Judaism’s classic text of personal ethics and moral values, during the six weeks between Passover and Shavuot. Join Rabbi Stein in study and reflection during this sacred season.
- Every Friday at 7:00 p.m. Online Shabbat Service. For details on how to log-in visit emanuelrochester.org and click on events & services.
- Chevra Torah on Saturday mornings from 10:00-11:30am. Join the Zoom. Meeting ID 286 205 117. By phone: +1.929.205.6099
- Every Saturday starting May 23 from 4:00-5:00 p.m.Social Justice Torah Study with Rabbi Drorah Setel. For details on how to log-in visit emanuelrochester.org and click on events & services.
- Every Monday at 12:00pm. Torah from Sinai Rabbi’s Message. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID 676 347 409.
- Every Wednesday at 12:00pm. Healing Service: Eat. Pray. Heal. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID: 541 403 735.
- Every Wednesday at 5:30pm. Hebrew School T’filah. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID 583 797 448.
- Every Thursday at 12:00 p.m. Torah from Sinai Music for the Soul. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID 741 551 738.
- Every Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Hebrew School T’filaton Service. Join the Zoom meeting. Meeting ID 274 129 315.
All services are being held via Zoom video conferencing, and links to each services as well as free resources from the CCAR can be found www.tsinai.org.
- Jewish Family Service has multiple volunteer opportunities. Sign up here.
- Foodlink is looking for volunteers to help compile quarantine boxes. Learn more
- UR Medicine is currently welcoming donations of supplies and food, as well as monetary donations. Please review the specific guidance for these items. If you would like to donate supplies or food, please send an email. to covid19donationsSMH@urmc.rochester.edu so they can coordinate your donation, including delivery. Do not bring your donation to one of the hospitals without first contacting them.
- Chabad Lubavitch of Rochester has information available on their website at https://www.chabadrochester.com/
- Congregation Beth Hakneses Hachodosh is closed until further notice. Updated information is available at www.congbhh.org.
- Congregation Beth Hamedresh – Beth Israel has suspended services until further notice. Updated information is available at www.bhbirochester.org.
- Congregation Beth Sholom is closed until further notice. Updated information is available at www.bethsholomrochester.org.
- Light of Israel is closed. To view the schedule, visit their website at www.lightofisreal.org.
- Temple Beth Am is closed until further notice. Updated information is available at www.bethamrochester.org.
- Temple B’rith Kodesh is closed with all services cancelled through April 15 and staff is working remotely. Updated information is available at www.tbk.org.
- Temple Beth David is closed until further notice. Updated information is available at www.tbdrochester.org.
- Temple Beth El is closed with the staff working virtually. They are offering services via Facebook Live and information can be found at www.tberochester.org.
- Temple Emanu-El has suspended all in-person activities until further notice. Updated information is available at www.emanuelrochester.org.
- Temple Sinai is closed to the public for services, school, meetings and events. They are offering weekly online services. To view the schedule or join a service, visit their website at www.tsinai.org.
- The Louis S. Wolk JCC is closed temporarily. Please visit their website for the most updated information at www.jccrochester.org.
- Jewish Senior Life is on lockdown with no visitors allowed and only essential staff who are screened and have their temperature taken each time they go to work. Updated information is available at www.jewishseniorlife.org. Jewish Senior Life is very technologically advanced and with our 200 iPads we are performing virtual visits for residents and their families. Here is what else they are doing to reduce isolation, loneliness, and depression.
- We set up an intergenerational mailbox firstname.lastname@example.org and have asked students to please send notes regarding positive things they are doing and learning and words of encouragement to our residents.We print them and read them to our residents and it means a lot. It makes them know that people are thinking of them, especially during Passover.
- Put together "Activities Bags" Every bag included The Ultimate Book of Jewish Jokes, Wheel of Fortune Puzzle Book and an Adult Activity Book.
- Our Foundation has been placing personal calls all over the community checking in to see what we can do and what services we can direct them to at JFS and Federation We are placing over 300 calls a week.
- National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW) has suspended all events. Updated information is available at www.ncjwgrs.org.
- Hillel Community Day School cancelled all classes as of March 13, 2020. They are offering online learning to their students and updated information is available at www.hillelschool.org.